The State of Spring Lake TownshipSpring Lake Township Annual Report
Spring Lake Township – Annual Report
by John Nash, Township Supervisor
Spring Lake Township (SLT) elected officials and staff members strive to make our Township a great place to live, work, learn and recreate.
2016 WAS A GOOD YEAR FOR SPRING LAKE TOWNSHIP
- Two major industrial expansions – Supreme Machined Products and Shipston Aluminum Technology.
- Two new housing developments – Arcadia on 148th Ave. and The Sanctuary on W. Spring Lake Rd.
OUR NEW SPRING LAKE FIRE STATION ON M104
- The station was approved and the building process is going very well.
- The station will be the first new building along the lakeshore that is LEED Silver and we believe it will end up LEED GOLD.
- There will be no additional taxes to build this beautiful, 50-plus year building.
- We have sold both of our fire stations on the east side of the Township.
SPRING LAKE TOWNSHIP ACHIEVEMENTS
- In 2012, SLT was the first township of 1,240 in Michigan to achieve the Township of Excellence Award – the highest possible level. In 2014, a second township achieved that distinction.
- SLT’s millage rate, and combined water & sewer rate are both the lowest in the area.
- SLT has an AA+ Standard & Poor’s rating and our 2015 audit was excellent.
- We are sharing the Village Hall with the Village staff. This will save both municipalities a lot of money, has been recognized as a major accomplishment State wide, and is going very well.
- SLT/SLV Planner and Water Billing Staff
- SLT/GH City Finance staff
- Sewer system (SLT, SLV, Ferrysburg, City of Grand Haven, Grand Haven Twp.)
- Water system (SLT, SLV, Ferrysburg, City of Grand Haven, Grand Haven Twp.)
- Fire Dept. Mutual Aid (SLT, SLV, Crockery, Norton Shores, Fruitport, Ferrysburg, GH, GHT)
- Ottawa County Sheriff – SLT employees 2 full-time deputies
GRANT AWARDED SLT
- Storm water Asset Management Waste Water Grant (SAW Grant) – $850,000 State – 10% match from us of $85,000.
BIKE PATH MILLAGE
We very much appreciate our SLT residents’ strong support vote for another 10 years of 0.5 mills for bike paths.
- We completed one section of path along 168th Ave. in cooperation with Ferrysburg in 2015.
- We will complete another section from Krueger St. to Fruitport Rd. this year.
- We will do a significant amount of path maintenance in 2016 to our current path system.
SLT COMMUNICATES WITH OUR RESIDENTS
We encourage community engagement.
- Summer & Winter Newsletter – sent to every property owner.
- E-News – emailed to anyone who requests it.
- SLT website 24/7 – with a great deal of info and links: www.springlaketwp.org
- Quarterly water bill update info.
We encourage our residents to attend our Township meetings:
|Board Meetings||2nd Monday each month||7:00 pm|
|Planning Commission||3rd Wednesday each month||7:00 pm|
|Zoning Board of Appeals||4th Thursday each month||7:00 pm|
The Township office is open to serve you Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm.